Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cottage


My summers are usually spent at my cottage. Events there range from sleeping in and swimming to meeting a terrorist on our property. Last summer I was at my cottage for three quarters of it. My cottage is located on Sugar Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It is eight hours away from Cambridge.It is a pretty long drive, but you get used to it. Since it's such a long drive we are usually up there for longer than a few days. The drive is a small price to pay for such an amazing time.
It was built in 1915, over a trapper's settlement from around 1860. My cottage originally belonged to the Hunts. After them it was sold to the Hamiltons. They lived there for 60 years. They used it as a hunting and trapping lodge. Mr.Hamilton also had a little barber parlor on the property. They were a well liked and known family on the Island. Sadly one day Mrs.Hamilton died. She was cooking when she had a heart attack. Later her husband went to a nursing home beacause he developed Alzheimer's. My family was next to purchase it, in 1988. We kept it like it was for many years.
Just a couple years ago we totally renovated it. We basically took out everything, even the walls and upper level. The cottage is totally different now, it doesn't even look remotely the same. We also took down our falling apart boathouse and replaced it with, what we call, the 'Hut'. Which is a one bedroom mini house, where my dad sleeps.
We have also bought a large homestead farm separate from the cottage. On it we have a vineyard, two gardens, a couple open fields, a few large ponds, and my grandpa's house. Yes I said a vineyard, in Michigan. My dad made an amphitheatre shaped vineyard from a hill. My family planted all the grapes and we have been keeping it running for a couple years. Last year we made our first wine.
My cottage is great for relaxing and having fun. It is my favourite place ever. Also since we had it before I was born I have lived with it all my life, and it feels like a part of me. So this summer I can guarantee you that I will be at my cottage dirt biking, and making wine.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this!
    Read it twice...
    Dude this is going to be in our family for so many generations to come...
    I'm so excited to see it change, I mean i was born 1988 and look how much it has changed since then.
    Teach me how to dirt bike, because clearly i'm not great yet, and I'll teach you how to give unreal tours like I do!
    xoxox
    Love your big sis!

    ReplyDelete